Workspace for the Guild

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Re: Go Stagga Lee! Go Stagga Lee! - He Said Then I Said

David Roberts Wrote:
FYI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagger_Lee
But someone please explain the significance of Stagga? Isn't this just one drunk bruh shooting another?

Then I said:
Well yeah, so?  A similar statment could be said of Pat Garret and Billy The Kid: "One white guy who shot another one."  It's a folk tale. For me it's a part of my childhood. I've heard "The Legend of Stagger Lee" for as long as I can remember.  I've always considered it "just a folk tale", but it looks like there is some historical basis for it according to the wiki entry and the OGN. Always got a kick out of the song.  It always seemed sad and funny at the same time.  Lloyd Price's rendition always seemed so earnest for the subject matter - man shoots another man over a hat - it made me laugh.  But Billy's plea for his life had a haunting quality.  The story always resonated with me as I know similar incidents that happend to be true.

Note: BTW, Dave and I are old friends and compulsive beer drinkers, I mean, debaters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home